What is the difference between the levels of license?

There are 3 levels of license in each province and they give you different abilities and responsibilities.
Written by Student Success
Updated 2 years ago

Level 1

A Level 1 license is where everyone starts.  This license lets you sell all kinds of general insurance: home, auto, business, travel, etc. - basically everything except life and health insurance.

In all provinces except Ontario, this license means you have to work under the supervision of a Level 2 or 3 insurance broker.  This means they will be double checking and signing off on your work.

Level 2

A Level 2 license lets you work independently without supervision.  In Ontario, this license is often called RIBO 2 or a RIBO Unrestricted Technical license.

Level 3

A Level 3 license lets you be the Nominee or Principal Broker at a brokerage.  This is the person responsible for supervising all the brokers that work under them.  There is typically only 1 per brokerage.  In Ontario, this license is often called RIBO 3 or a RIBO Unrestricted Management license.

Need more information?

To learn more about how to get each one in your province, go to the Help Center and search for the "License Guide" for your province.


Did this answer your question?